Friday 13 November 2015

XCLUSIVE! Interview with Den Den - The Manipulator! Starring in The Illusionists in London's West End


This week in XCLUSIVE! The world’s best selling touring magic show The Illusionists – Witness The Impossible is a mere few days from its official London première and I cannot wait! 

The show, originally a smash hit on Broadway and which has sold out in 71 cities across 17 countries, is set to dazzle London’s West End - boasting a phenomenal line-up featuring some of the world’s most captivating, mind-boggling magicians. 

 The magnificent seven will take to the stage at the Shaftesbury Theatre from Saturday 14th November 2015 – Sunday 3rd January 2016. With a mesmerizing mix of death-defying stunts, breath-taking illusions and dazzling magic tricks, the show has something for everyone. 

 At the preview launch I caught up with Den Den – The Manipulator and Colin Cloud – The Deductionist who are set to star in this sensational show. Here is part one of this Xclusive series of Interviews.
*****
Named Magician of the Year (2014) by the Academy of Magical Arts and awarded the prestigious ‘Gold Medal Award of Honour’ from the Society of American Magicians, which has gone to only one magician before him, Den Den is the Master of Manipulation. Now you see it, now you don’t – let’s meet The Manipulator.


When did your love of magic first start? I first started magic when I was about seven years old. I bought a magic set, which anybody could buy, from a department store. I started out on those magic kits and showing tricks to my friends.

Did you always know this was the career for you? Not at all! When I was little I never thought this would be my profession.

How did you learn your craft and develop your skills? I developed in front of my mirror at home! I concentrated on brushing up my skills.

What was the first trick you ever learnt? The moving handkerchief.

What was the turning point that transformed magic from a hobby into a professional career? I met a ‘professional’ magician in a bar, I saw him doing some magic and he was no better than me. I learnt later on, that he wasn't actually a professional magician!

And it gave you the belief to go for it? Exactly! I was convinced I could do it too!

How did you develop your individual style? From 15 to 23 years of age I performed as an actor in traditional Japanese theatre, such as Kabuki, and I am also trained in traditional Japanese dance. I wanted to develop my style of magic incorporating Japanese harmony and tradition.

Did your experience as performer help you as a magician? It has been very helpful. In Japanese theatre there are a lot of eye movements and that has enhanced my magic too.

In terms of content – is your magic set based on more traditional tricks or is there room for invention? Yes I invent a lot of my show.

Has a trick ever gone wrong live on stage and how did you recover? Am I allowed to say? Maybe I shouldn't reveal my secrets! Well, I was participating in a prominent world competition and I had forgotten to put certain things in place... But how I dealt with it? Now that's a secret!

You've won a host of awards from the industry, how important is it to be recognised in this way by your peers? 
It doesn't mean too much to me actually. Initially of course when I participated in lots of competitions I was really determined to get the best awards but as I was doing more, my motives and objectives changed; I get great pleasure from seeing positive reactions from the audience.


You are one of seven magicians to be performing at The Illusionists show which will be taking up residency at the Shaftesbury Theatre in November – what can audiences expect from your solo set? Well I have included some Japanese cultural aspects in my magic show, so if the audience can feel that aspect of it, that would be really wonderful!

Advances in technology have created even more possibilities in the art of illusion – do you use special effects in your performance? No nothing at all, it's all based on technique.
Would you ever reveal the secrets to your magic? I have never revealed my secrets and probably never will!

What characteristics make a great magician? Great senses are required and consciousness.

In terms of future plans, what’s coming up for you? I have a big show ahead of me starting from November in London (The Illusionists), and I have a great plan to create a new piece for next year.

*****

THE ILLUSIONISTS – WITNESS THE IMPOSSIBLE™tickets are now on sale from the box Office: 020 7379 5399 and are priced: £15 - £85.  Age guidance: Perfect for the whole family. For more information visit www.theillusionistslive.com / Twitter: @illusionists7

Many thanks to Den Den, his team and translator Mari Yoshida. Catch part two of my Xclusive Illusionists’ Special next week; I’ll be chatting to real life Sherlock Holmes incarnation Colin Cloud - The Deductionist! 

*****
That’s all for now! Until next time… x Mwah

No comments: