Sunday 19 April 2015

XCLUSIVE! On The Radar: Check out my Interview with singer-songwriter Despina Droushiotis

  
I caught up with upcoming London Cypriot Soul /Hip Hop artist Despina Droushiotis to find out about her journey so far, debut single "Over" and what's coming up for this talented emerging artist.

What first inspired you to become a singer-songwriter? From as early as I can remember music has been my life. I've connected with music on so many levels, be it my emotions, personal experiences or to relax. Whatever is happening daily in my life, music controls it.

Where did you train and do you play any instruments? I studied Musical Theatre at college; my main aim was to develop as a versatile, skilled and confident performer who can approach a wide variety of musical genres. I then decided I wanted to go on to study Sound Engineering and Music Production, I wanted to learn what the ‘full lifecycle’ of making music is like. I was exposed to ‘real world’ experiences of a recording environment; I was able to record, produce and remix artists on course projects and assignments. This taught me the different techniques associated with recording bands and musicians and to create professional sounding mixes. I always say as a singer-songwriter, being able to tell which sounds compliment my voice is a massive help.

You moved to England from Cyprus at a very young age; how did this impact your musical journey? When I moved to London, I did not know a word of English so I became obsessed with the voices and lyrics in music. I remember listening to Etta James and Ella Fitzgerald every night for hours, just trying to find my own voice. Music made it easier for me to learn the English language.

In three words how would you describe your sound? Soulful, daring & edgy.

Your music has a real nostalgic sound – who are your biggest music influences? Many musicians have influenced me massively, Michael Jackson is one, his versatility allowed him to experiment with various themes and genres. When people ask me ‘what genre are you’? I always get into a discussion about experimenting with different genres and how I am bringing Rock and Soul influence to modern Hip-Hop. Amy Winehouse is another; she would mix various genres such as soul, jazz, rock ‘n’ roll and rhythm and blues. Her musical formation went through listen to jazz divas such as Billie Holiday and Sarah Vaughan. In a way we are similar musically, you will hear this in my new songs which I am currently working on, they are a fusion of 40s jazz, 60s soul and hard words inspired by daily life. My biggest musical influence is Erykah Badu, I remember seeing her perform at the O2 in London, and she was singing Didn’t Cha Know. I was only 14, I had never heard, being in my bedroom, someone sing like that live. I remember feeling like I couldn’t move; I could feel every RAW word she sang, I shut my eyes and let her voice hit me. It was incredible. I knew then that I would tell my story just like her.

While pursuing your music aspirations you are also holding down a full time job – which is the reality many performers face when they are working towards a career in the entertainment industry; how do you juggle both? I’m not going to lie, it’s a struggle but that’s life. I’m lucky because music gives me a release from work and my situation means that I never take music for granted. Some people come home from work and go to the gym or watch TV I come home and make music.

As well as writing your own songs you are also very much involved in the production of your tracks; is this something you like to do solo or do you work with a team? As much as I love to be involved, I also know there is only so much one person can do. I organise my own photo shoots, videos, interviews and gigs while also sneaking in the time to write songs. At the moment I am working with some amazing producers; in the studio we play about with so many different instruments and sounds, to see how they click. I love being able to get involved in all stages of making a track; having a say in the mood, style and flow. I feel this makes my music honest.

There has been a great emergence of up and coming singer-songwriters – what sets you apart? How do you feel you stamp your own identity as an artist? I feel artists are too scared to show the ‘REAL’ person, in a way they want to fit in like every other artist. That is not me; I draw raw emotion that can be felt through my music, it may not always be sugar coated but that is why most can relate to it.

What can audiences expect at one of your gigs? My gigs are very intimate to me, I’m not just going to stand there and sing at you, I want to tell you the story about my songs and life. I am very open and honest. I am most vulnerable on stage as I open the door for you to see ‘my world’.

You have a new single out now entitled ‘OVER” what can you tell us about the song? Have you ever felt alone and heavy in the heart, with no self-esteem and in a broken mess? O.V.E.R is about having the courage to finally be true to you, speak out and leave the bad news behind.

What’s next for you? Is an album on the cards this year? I record in West Yorkshire and London so you’ll also catch me gigging around these areas too. There may also be some upcoming festival performances; you can catch all my updates on my social media pages. I’m always working on new music. There will be an EP out this year, so watch this space ;).

What’s currently playing on repeat on your Ipod? At the moment it’s the Weeknd ‘Earned it’ and Sam Smith. If you ask me the same question in a week and I’ll probably give you a different answer! I am always listening to Sam Smith – In the lonely hour. This album is all about unrequited love; it’s about never being loved back. His music really touches the heart, such emotion and attitude.

If you could have written and sung any song, past or present, what would it be any why? That’s a difficult one because when I write it’s a personal thing, so it can be hard to have a personal connection to somebody else’s song. If I had to choose I would say ‘I Will Always Love You’ - the Whitney Houston version. Whitney transformed this country ballad into a pop-gospel vibe. Dolly Parton’s original was plaintive and tear stained, Whitney’s version is gospel-infused and dramatic. The breaking and tensing in her voice treats the song as a series of emotional bursts. It has so much emotion; so powerful and in a way it has a haunting beauty - my kind of music. Even Elvis Presley wanted to cover this song.

…And what about your dream duet? Tina Turner! Not only does she have an amazing voice but you know she’ll rock any stage.

Any big ambitions for 2015?  Loads, lol!!! My biggest ambition this year is to have an album released. Also being able to tour with other artists would ROCK!!

Has your Cypriot background influenced your music or work ethic at all?
Growing up in a Greek family we always had Greek music playing; my Yiayia would tell me that back in her youth she was part of a singing Greek choir and that they sang at festivals. She would tell me all the mischief they got up to. As for my work ethic I grew up watching my Granddad working our fish shop for hours. My family came to England to work hard and provide for their families and that’s been drummed into me from a very young age. I remember seeing my mum work hard, not only did she hold down a few jobs, she was a single parent to four of us – seeing this only made me want to work harder to get what I need.

Have you ever recorded / performed in Greek? Any plans to do so in the future? Living with my Yiayia and Bappou in Cyprus I was exposed to all the classics from a very young age. Even now, every time I see my Yiayia she requests that I sing Giorgos Alkaios ‘Ti Ti’ and Notis Sfakianakis’ ‘Soma Mou’. Greek school also played a massive part in my love for Greek music. I love to keep tabs on emerging Greek music; it is fascinating to see how the style has changed over time, even the types of instruments they use. I haven’t performed officially in Greek, however, one of my ambitions is to record a whole album in my mother tongue, in my style. ‘Hint Hint’ producers, you know where to find me ;).

What is your life motto or the advice you live by? Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

For more information on Despina and her music search DespinaMusic on: Facebook, Twitter, Soundcloud and YouTube.

*****


That’s all for now ~ More music & entertainment Xclusives coming soon! 
Until next time… 
Kat 
x Mwah 

***********************************************************
If you would like your CD or event featured or reviewed in Xclusive! 
Contact me via email: katsmusiq@gmail.com  or Facebook: Kat Neocleous 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.